Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Holiday in Kenya

            Today was a very relaxing day. We didn’t go to the hospital because it is a holiday here. Instead we got to sleep in a little bit, but got woken up around 8:15 to Grace knocking on our door to pick up the things she had left for us to look at the night before. She hurried off after we paid for the few things we had picked out like she always does. I never understand why she is in such a hurry, but she always rushes off like she has some important appointment to make. For most of the day we sat either inside or outside reading. I’m a little embarrassed because I started reading a book over a week ago and still haven’t finished it, while Neeli started hers like 3 days ago and is already done. Now I am determined to finish it at least before leaving Kenya.
            In the afternoon I went on a run around the hospital compound. I only ran for about 15 minutes, but I almost passed out! Not only is Kijabe at 8,000 feet elevation, but I was running uphill for the first half of my run! I can understand why Kenyans always win the Boston marathon. When I got back to our house, Neeli and I decided to go on a walk. While on our walk, we ran into Caley so she joined us and we showed her the village grocery shop and market.
            For dinner, Dr. Keiser, Caley, me and Neeli all went to Mama Chicoo’s, the only restaurant in town. We had chipati, rice, beef stew, cabbage, a potato, beans, and some sort of carrot stew. It was all pretty good. I think Caley was a little worried about getting sick, but Neeli and I have told to several people who have eaten there and were fine. I actually feel very lucky because I haven’t gotten sick at all during my time in Africa. The medicine that I’ve used the most has actually been Benadryl. I hardly ever have allergies back in the US, but here I’m itchy and sneezy all the time.
            Sadly, we never got a call to go to the hospital to see a c-section today. Maybe we will get to see something exciting tomorrow. We only have two more days at the hospital! I think I am getting ready to be back home, but I know I will miss it here. 

1 comment:

  1. She probably runs off before you change your mind on your purchases! Missing your picture posts - can't wait to see all the photos! love you!

    ReplyDelete